Required Documents

Throughout the past 48 years we have established contacts with Mexican Immigration that allows us to issue (TIP) Temporary Boat Import Permits and Fishing Licenses. FMM Tourist Cards are no longer available in advance online, but must be purchased at the border crossing.

On January 11,2023, Vagabundos found out that we are no longer able to process our Members’ FMMs online in our office. The immigration office told us that they will only be done at the border through the Immigration office that is located at the crossing you will be going through. Unfortunately, this means that we will no longer have an application and you will have to stop each time. No prepaid visas, no online transactions.

If you are entering Mexico by boat, you must get your FMM at the first port of entry.

Fishing License

CLICK here for application

CLICK here for Mexican sport fishing regulations

We offer weekly, monthly, and annual licenses. A fishing license is required for any individual, regardless of age, who wishes to fish in fresh or salt water in Mexico. This rule applies to all people fishing out of boats or fishing underwater while skin diving. A fishing license is not needed when fishing from land. When operating a boat that is carrying fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not.

Boat Permit

CLICK here for application

Temporary Boat Import Permits (TIP) are required for all boats 15 feet or larger. A TIP is required for all of Mexico (including Baja). TIPs are valid for ten years. Only one TIP can be issued at a time. You must return the TIP before it expires or before temporarily importing another boat. The TIP is for recreational or sport boats for all people legally residing outside of Mexico no matter what your immigration status. Marinas in Mexico have an obligation by law to keep a copy of a tourist card, vessel TIP, insurance, and certificate of documentation on file.

Vehicle Permit

You can obtain a vehicle permit at a Banjercito bank at the border or at the ferry.

Temporary Vehicle Import Permits are not needed for Baja Norte, Baja Sur and parts of Sonora. Everyone is required to leave a deposit. The deposit is based on the vehicle year. If anyone fails to return their vehicle prior to the expiration date the deposit will be kept. Banjercito will run a check on the vehicle before issuing the permit. If there is any theft report on the vehicle or it is restricted or prohibited from operating in the U.S. or Canada, the vehicle cannot be temporarily imported. The temporary permit time is based on the person’s immigration status i.e., 180 days for tourist. People traveling in the eastern part of Sonora need to have a “Sonora Only Permit”

Mexican Insurance

CLICK here for applications and forms

Mexican Law does not recognize U.S. or Canadian insurance. This is even if your U.S. policy provides coverage up to 50 or 75 miles into Mexico, this DOES NOT fulfill the requirement of Mexican law for proof of liability insurance underwritten by a Mexican company. The U.S. policy cannot pay damages that you would legally owe to others if you were in an accident. Mexican law requires that a driver be able to show proof of liability for any physical bodily injuries caused by an accident. All drivers/vehicles must have at least liability coverage from a Mexican insurance provider. You can be arrested and have your car impounded if you do not have at least the Mexican liability coverage.