Thursday, August 23 - Sunday, August 26. This will be the 15th Annual High Sierra Campout and Kokanee Fish Tournament. Registration will be Thursday evening with a community BBQ dinner. The tournament will start Friday, fishing can commence one half hour before dawn and weigh in will end at 2:00 pm. Friday night we will have a margarita party and potluck dinner. Saturday, fishing can commence one half hour before dawn and weigh in will end at 2:00 pm. The award presentation will be held after the weigh-in on Saturday afternoon. A fish fry will be planned, hopefully with fish caught, and potluck side dishes. And then one more potluck - a Survivor's Breakfast on Sunday morning before departing.
Camping will be dry, but there are chemical toilets, picnic tables, benches, BBQ pits, a great community fire pit and spaces for RV trailer and tent camping. Although the Fishing Tournament is the feature event, there are always plenty of other activities for those who just want to relax and enjoy the mountains and lake scenery. There will also be many camp games including horseshoes, washer toss and Mexican train.
Directions to Stampede - Stampede Reservoir is located in the Sierra Nevada east of Truckee. Please Click Here for Temporary Road Closure and Detour Route. You will need to use State Route 89 not Stampede Meadows Road.
The cost is $150 per rig with two people. $5 per person over two people. The cost includes
your RV site for three nights and tournament registration.
To sign up and pay your fee and obtain more information, call the Vag office at (800) 474-2252.
1. Everyone in any boat involved in the Tournament must be registered.
2. The total length of the three fish will determine the winner. All fish must be caught in a day of the Tournament. Fish must not be cleaned or altered in any way from their natural appearance. Since the kokanee fishing has been spotty, that species of fish will be given a weighted advantage. Kokanee will be measured and the total length will be 1.5 times the actual length. Trout will be actual length and mackinaw will be 1/2 their actual length.
(Example: One kokanee @ 15" each and one trout 13" and one mackinaw at 24" would total 15 X 1.5 = 45 then +13 then+12 = 70" total.)
3. Fishing can commence one half hour before dawn and weigh in will end at 2:00 pm. Weigh in will be at the campsite.
4. Once fish are submitted, no substitutes can be entered. Once a person submits the three fish, they may not submit another entry.
5. All fish must be caught in Stampede Reservoir to be eligible.
6. The Tournament Leader will settle any disputes and his decision will be final.